Sunday, April 25, 2010

Now for something completely different....

The Goddess in Green
Sold

This painting is  12x16, oil on linen and  mounted on a board. This is my "breather" painting from the series I am working on. I really need to do a piece or two in between three or four paintings from a series. One, I would get very bored if I did not break it up that way and two, it is great to come back to the series with fresh eyes.

I have entered a prussian blue mode. As with the last few paintings from my series, this piece was painted with mostly prussian blue, yellow ochre, raw umber, burnt sienna and yellow ochre with a little bit of titanium white.

I used bits of stenciling and scumbling for the background and let some of the stencil carry onto the dress. I also intentionally left her dress and arms flat so that it contrasts nicely with the scumbled background  


15 comments:

Leslie Sealey said...

I love this one, it has a Gustav Klimt feeling to it with the flat space and use of pattern. I bet it will sell quickly, it's beautiful!

Susan Liles said...

Beautiful! Leslie above took the words right out of my mouth. First thought of Gustav Klimt style.

Sheila Vaughan said...

Its "delicious" Sandra, interesting composition and use of scumbling. Thanks again for letting us know your palette. I'll dig out my prussian blue but I think you've made it your own!

sandra flood said...

Thanks Leslie and Susan!

sandra flood said...

Sheila,
I was so into prussian blue when I was just starting to paint many years ago so I have a lot of practice with it.

Vern Schwarz said...

Sandra this is another fabulous painting. Your backgrounds are always so subtle and interesting with beautiful colours.

Anonymous said...

amazing creativity! good to have found your blog Sandra

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Looks like she is standing behind delicate green lace. Great effect!

sandra flood said...

Hi Vern,
Thanks! The background was built up in very thin layers of scumbling and stencils. The last thing I did was to go into the background with a brush to put in highlights.

sandra flood said...

Thanks for stopping by Rahina!

sandra flood said...

Silvina,
It is a great effect but the best part of is that it saves time. I am a lazy painter!

Anonymous said...

hello Sandra, I've just come to your site for the first time, and i've had a positively lovely time browsing through your GORGEOUS work. I hope you dont mind i added your name to my blogroll, so that i can come back and visit often.

Anna Wilson-Patterson said...

Great composition and I love the tip of her nose.

Mary Bullock said...

I just love your style and color choices!! Each figure seems to hold a story waiting to be unlocked. I, too, would like to be on your blog roll.

Anonymous said...

I love the feeling of this one; kind of ethereal, but mildly so. Captivating.

I always consider it like a special occasion when I get to use Prussian Blue.