Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Sister's Path

A Sister's Path   
20x20 oil on linen   


I always start a figure piece by making sure the face is going to work. That is always the hardest part and since my work has very little else then the figure, it has to be a face that is going to grab you, keep you interested and wondering just what is going on.

I can't say how one paints emotion in a face.I think that it is just something that happens through the artists own unconscious ability.

I used in this painting burnt sienna, yellow ochre, cobalt blue, some cadmium red, a blue/grey and cremintz white for the face and hair. Actually I used all those colors plus raw umber for the rest of the piece too.

A painting for all of you with sisters! I am a sister to three brothers but I have none myself and always wondered what it would be like.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sandra, what an amazingly beautiful face! I think that dewey and fragile look around the eyes is captivating. I'm amazed with your sensitive brush work.

sandra flood said...

Thanks Silvina! I wish the photo was better. There is a lot of subtleties in the face that just didn't come through in the photo.
It is also great to do a face close to life size. You can get so much more details in even if they are subtle.

Sheila Vaughan said...

What I think Sandra is that even if the girl's hair was not as pretty and her jacket was not so attractive , the face itself is so beautifully painted that the painting would be no less for that. It's the mood that you have managed to capture so well. That, and I think, the contrast of the colours in the face with the background.

Anonymous said...

Very 'sister-y'! The only experience I speak from is observing my wife after she's seen or spoken with her sis. That bittersweet bemused look is familiar to me and the colors seem to accentuate this feeling.

Anonymous said...

Sandra,
I love the eyes especially in this such warmth, and sensitivity. I dont have a sister, but always wondered what that would be like too.

Anna Wilson-Patterson said...

Another very beautiful painting, I keep returning to look.

sandra flood said...

Thanks all for the support! i wish the photo was better because it really is much better in person.

MeeArt said...

Amazing, Like the other comments...eyes are great, so much emotion!

Erika Tieszen said...

I love this. She is hauntingly beautiful.

Liza Hirst said...

Very impressive portrait, Sandra!
I keep coming back to look at it, too. It is so sensitive and emotional. Also like the way you've painted the sister in the background.

Shelley Whiting's art said...

I love the figure. She is very intense and mysterious. The narrative is extremely intriguing and haunting. A very moving and beautiful artwork.